Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Out of My System....


 A few years back, I walked into a phase where the yearning of really grasping the career I went to school for, became the unbalanced center stage of my life; I caught myself into the portion of the career it didn't even released my imagination or creation switch. It was just the compromise of moving up the ladder, unaware I was setting my own trap.
  Architecture as an art form is glorious, subtle, but at the same time philosophical, thoughtful and incredible rewarding. The construction process that accompanies it, is the excitement of seeing the first portion come to completion, and makes the element stop existing in the architect's mind, and brings it to the Human Realm...
   However, the Suicidal attempt to make everything of capital gain;  have made clients, contractors and architectural firms cheapen the realization of any architecture of importance. Amidst of this, I came in to the plate, to become just another player of the same game; the no consciousness on my part; made me swallow every bitter pill. The effects of this process didn't take long to show the damages....
  I became sleepless, too much compromise with the client, too much responsibility with not enough experience, too much of my personal life given away; of course, I was making good money and couldn't give it up.....and the creation process completely forgotten.....
 All that is gone now;  I am out of the corporate and standardized architectural field....I am working now in things that little by little bring a more controlled environment, participation in architectural competitions, and arts exhibits have brought a breath of fresh air to my life. Now; not everything is perfect; I am money strained along with most Americans; I am paddling down the river and trying to make small projects produce some comfort, that is now what concerns me; but  I feel that my mind and soul are starting to align in the right direction.



 It was funny for me to watch a Sundance Channel special on Rem Koolhas last week; and hear him saying the same complains; on a more grandeur scale of course; he has a more creation controlled process than I could ever dream of, and he compromises very little; but the tag lines were in all the same; frustration with the client that alter the architectural process; and the lack of vision on behalf of what is profitable, and of maximum capital gain even if that  minimizes the quality of the building
  The image I am posting comes from all the struggles I had during my first built project; I think it expresses it all....

  I have been thinking a lot about the process. Soundtrack by Trentemoller "moan'

No comments:

Post a Comment